My friend in college once got a care package from his mom, and it was filled with homemade caramel corn. I just happened to be visiting when said package arrived, and managed to eat most of his supply. Sometime later his mom heard of my LOVE for this caramel corn, and emailed me a copy of her recipe. I have made this recipe countless times, and admit that it is consumed at the same rate as it was all those years ago (but not just by myself). Everyone in the house loves this recipe!
I thought this would be a fun snack to make with the kids. Who doesn’t love popcorn? And who doesn’t love popcorn that is covered in sweet caramel? Oh. My. Goodness.
My Kids Make “Mrs. Doak’s Caramel Corn“, and yours can too! Watch the video to see how we made it:
- 15C plain popped corn
- 1C brown sugar
- 1/2C butter
- 1/4C light corn syrup
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- Preheat over to 200°
- In saucepan, heat sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Stir occasionally until bubbling around edges.
- Once bubbling, cook over medium heat for 5mins WITHOUT stirring.
- Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla, then stir to combine (it will get foamy)
- Pour caramel sauce in even amounts over the popcorn. Mix well to coat all pieces of corn.
- Spread the popcorn into 2 – 9×13 pans.
- Bake for 1 hr, stirring every 15mins.
- Store in airtight container
~Looking for a Dairy Free Caramel Corn? Look no more! Check out my post here.