Peanut Butter Cups and Mounds Bars

27 Sep

Halloween candy is out in all the stores and it has me in the mood for a candy bar! I saw these recipes for Peanut Butter Cups and Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars (aka: Mounds  Bars) in the Oct 2010 “EveryDay with Rachael Ray” magazine, and what else could we do but make them ourselves!!!!  There is something very fantastic about making your own candy bars. First off, you can eliminate the horrible ingredients that come in a package candy bar. Second, ..um HELLO! you just made a candy bar! How awesome is that?

My Kids Make Peanut Butter Cups and Mounds Bars, and yours can too! See below to find out more:

We made the Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars (Mounds Bars) first.  First, you mix a few ingredients together to make the coconut bars.  Shape them, then let them harden in the fridge. Next up: dipping them in melted chocolate!  (Everyone wanted a turn dunking the coconut bars in chocolate)

Let the chocolate harden and you have Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars (Mounds Bars): Y.U.M.

Next up were the Peanut Butter Cups.  First we melted chocolate and poured a layer into the bottoms of small paper muffin liners, then let it harden. (We used the smallest size, even though the recipe calls for the regular sized ones).  This was a little tricky, since the chocolate was warm, so I did this part while Silas watched.

Then, we mixed up the Peanut Butter filling and (of course) took a break to lick the beaters.

Then, Silas helped fill the cups with the PB mixture.

Top it off with a  layer of chocolate, let them harden in the fridge, and you have yourself a homemade Peanut Butter Cup!

8 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cups and Mounds Bars”

1. Nana 27. Sep, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

Yummy !!! We sampled the chocolate covered coconut bars today and they are delicious !!! Taste so much better than the ones from Mars.

I was starting to search for the recipe tonight, when your blog post appeared. Thanks for the recipes…. can’t wait to try them.

Hint – you can make the peanut butter cups in the plastic candy molds. If you don’t have one, I’ll give you mine :-)

2. Heather 27. Sep, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

Those peanut butter cups were so good. The best I have ever had!!!! Yum!!!

Thanks for hosting such a fun weekend.

3. nonna 28. Sep, 2010 at 7:42 am #

Oh, they look so good!! I know a certain someone who loves peanut butter cups, right Dad!

4. Poppi 30. Sep, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

What a great idea. You made my two favorite candies. I sure hope there is another batch made sometime.

5. Nana 03. Oct, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

You inspired me to buy the Rachel Ray magazine which had these recipes. I sat on the deserted beach at Popham and read about all the yummy foods. And planned what I could cook.

Then I went for a walk, leaving my magazine securely in the chair (I thought). During that walk, a sea gull saw some pages flapping the the breeze — and so it attacked and shredding my magazine. So much for a deserted beach LOL.

6. becky 04. Oct, 2010 at 8:26 am #

Nana,
    that story is both funny and frustrating. So sad that your magazine got shredded to pieces. Those sea gulls!! Kinda funny for me to imagine a sea gull pecking at a food magazine though.

7. Nana 22. Oct, 2010 at 10:26 pm #

Yummy mounds bars. I made them this week – and they are so much better than the commercial one.

Next time, I will make each bar 1/2 the size as specified in the recipe. The candy was too big …. and I ended up cutting them in 1/2 anyways.

Next, I’ll make the peanut butter cups.

1. 4 Favorite Fall Snacks | My Kids Make... - 05. Oct, 2011