Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (gluten-free, dairy free)

11 Oct

We are on an adventure for the next few weeks to see if having a Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free diet will help solve some food related issues within the family.  All that to say, today was our first venture into Gluten-Free (GF) baking.  I had seen the recipe for pumpkin whoopie pies in the King Arthur Flour catalog, and then again on their Baking Banter blog.  I knew we had to try this, and what better way to kick off our new GF diet than whoopie pies!!

My Kids Make “Pumpkin Whoopie Pies“, and yours can too! Find out how:

We followed along with the King Arthur recipe (which is NOT gluten free). I just altered the recipe to accommodate our needs. So really, anyone can make these.

We made the batter first (check out those Chef Hats):

Then scooped the dough and baked them.

While we waited, we made the filling.

I busted out the hand mixer for that since the Kitchen Aid was filled with the whoopie pie batter still.

Silas is spreading the filling onto a cooled pumpkin cookie.  Although it is VERY hard to wait until the cookies are cooled, I do recommend it. We tried to assemble them while the cookie part was still warm, as we were desperate to try them.  The filling got really soupy, really fast, and slid right off the cookie.  Not good. Waiting is better in end.

The finished product: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies!!!! Seriously, they are VERY good.  As in, I can’t believe how good these are.

PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIE {GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE}

• 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 C  (one 15-ounce can) pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)
  • 2 C  & 3TBS  basic Gluten-Free Flour mix
  • 2 tsp Xanthan gum

Filling:

• 2 TBS Spectrum Shortening
  • 2C confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 TBS water/soy milk/rice milk/etc * ( If needed)

To Make the Cookies:

• Preheat oven to 375°.
  • Mix shortening, oil, sugar, molasses, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices together.
  • Add in eggs one at a time and mix.
  • Add in the pumpkin puree and mix.
  • Add in the Gluten Free Flour and the xanthan gum and mix to combine.
  • Spoon onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 13mins.  Cookies should darken slightly and be soft.
  • Let cool

To Make the Filling:

• Mix all ingredients (except for water) until smooth. If needed add water. Feel free to add more sugar to make consistency thicker.

Assemble:

• Frost one cookie with the filling and cover with another cookie to make a sandwich.

Copyright ©2010 My Kids Make. All Rights Reserved.

17 Responses to “Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (gluten-free, dairy free)”

1. Poppi 11. Oct, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

Whoopieeee. Those look really good. Nice job kiddos.

2. Nana 11. Oct, 2010 at 11:53 pm #

WOW !!! Your whoopie pies look fantastic and delicious.
    Great job Becky, Silas, and Sydney.

Wish I lived much closer to you, so I could stop by and sample a pie.

Hugs and kisses to Silas and Sydney.

3. Nana 11. Oct, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

Seriously – have you thought of doing a “web-mail-order” bakery? Care packages to go….. I’d definitely would buy some.

How about for all those college students who are gluten free? You could provide snacks and care packages for them…..

4. nonna 12. Oct, 2010 at 7:38 am #

Great idea Shirley!

They look wonderful kids! I just bought pumpkin, maybe I will bake some. But I don’t have helpers!

5. Heather 12. Oct, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Those look so wonderful Becky! Just looking at them make me want to make them today with the kids. I don’t think I have even had a whoopie pie since going gluten free? (Then again, I only seem to remember about one week back so who knows.) Thanks for the tip on waiting to frost them too.

6. MaryJane 12. Oct, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

I do so enjoy your blogs, I love watching the concentration as your children focus on baking. Thanks so much for sharing your gluten free version of these whoopies too, I’m sure it will help many of our customers make the GF leap too.

Happy baking!

~ MaryJane @ KAF

7. becky 12. Oct, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Thanks for all the comments. I am glad everyone likes the whoopie pies. I can’t say enough about how good they are.

@Heather: If you make these, send a pic of you and your whoopie pies!

@MaryJane: thanks for checking in on us. I can’t tell you how excited we were when we saw the post on these whoopies on the Baker’s Banter. I knew I had to make them and figure out a GF version for us.

8. nonna 12. Oct, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Does King Arthur make a GF flour?

9. becky 12. Oct, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

@nonna: yes! :)

10. Betsy & Curtis 15. Oct, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

These were delicious – thanks for sharing! Are videos a thing of the past on your site? I miss them!

11. becky 15. Oct, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

@Betsy: glad you guys liked them! As far as the videos…silas hasnt felt like doing a video lately and asked if we could do photos instead for a while. I am sure the videos will come back soon.

12. Betsy & Curtis 15. Oct, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

Awesome, glad videos may make a reappearance. I actually was craving another one of your whoopie pies the other day – they’re that good!

13. becky 15. Oct, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

@Betsy: i was craving some yesterday too. i think we will have to make another batch. :)

14. Kate 18. Nov, 2010 at 10:37 am #

Can’t wait to make these for Thanksgiving!!

1. From our Readers: Heather | My Kids Make... - 13. Oct, 2010

[...] proof that I wasn’t crazily exaggerating when I said the Pumpkin Whoopie Pie recipe was delicious.  Heather was nice enough to send in some pictures of the pumpkin whoopie [...]

2. Show and Tell: Debby | My Kids Make... - 11. Jan, 2011

[...] baked up a batch of the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with her 3 boys, and sent in these [...]

3. Misadventures in Gluten Free Baking: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies « Our Life in Four Bags - 03. Nov, 2011

[...] found the recipe for the cookies on MyKidsMake.com and the filling from A Baking [...]