Handprint (and Footprint) Turkeys

21 Nov

With Thanksgiving around the corner, we have had turkeys on our minds lately.  We made Paper Bag Turkey Hats, and now we have moved on to Handprint {and Footprint} Turkeys.  I had considered calling this “Turkey Handprints”, but immediately had the image of turkey’s running around making handprint crafts, and I couldn’t help but laugh.  That would make for a funny project though…..

My Kids Make Handprint {and Footprint} Turkeys, and yours can too! This makes a fun decoration for the big day, try it out!

Trace your child’s footprint (or have them do it themselves) on brown construction paper, and then cut it out.

Trace your child’s handprint on red/yellow/orange construction paper (or have them do it themselves), and cut it out. Make at least 6 handprints.

To assemble your turkey, take the footprint and position it heel up. Glue the handprints to the backside of the heel, fanning them out to resemble the turkey’s feathers.

We cut out little legs and a beak and glued them on to the turkey,then drew on eyes and the red wattle. All of these things could be cut out from construction paper and glued on. { A fun idea is to get those wobbly eyes from the craft store and glue those on.}

~Gobble Gobble.

7 Responses to “Handprint (and Footprint) Turkeys”

1. Poppi 22. Nov, 2010 at 8:44 am #

I just gobble up all your posts, especially this one. :-)

2. Nana 22. Nov, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

Good job on your turkeys.

Have you ever seen a real turkey? There are a flock of them up the road from our house. They live in the woods and fields and love eating acorns.

Your hand print turkey is so colorful.
    It has the same colors has my gentle rooster “goldie” (who has a golden neck).

Nana

3. Annie 23. Nov, 2010 at 10:09 pm #

When I taught fourth grade I did almost the same project with the kids. I had them paint their feet and hands to make the prints, though. Nothing like twenty 10 year olds running around with painted bare feet! We might do some festive decorating tomorrow!

4. nonna 24. Nov, 2010 at 8:58 am #

There is nothing cuter than chubby little 2 year old hands! xo

5. becky 24. Nov, 2010 at 9:21 am #

@Annie: i love the idea of your 4th grade class room running around barefoot and paint covered. They must have had a blast!!!

6. Leah 18. Nov, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

I love your site! I do lots of craft with my daughter. Will definitely be back.

7. Melissa 08. Nov, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

This such a cute idea! I found a similar craft great for small kids and posted it to my blog. If your interested check it out at inseasonblogspot.com!