Balloon {Popping} Advent Calendar

1 Dec

It’s December 1st, and you know what that means. First off, the malls are officially crazy. Secondly, time to pull out the Christmas decorations and start your advent calendars. I wanted to come up with a fun Advent Calendar that the kids would LOVE, and one that would be something our whole family could be involved in {more so than:  open door, pull out chocolate, eat chocolate…repeat}.  So voila…here it is: Balloon {Popping} Advent Calendar.

There are lots of fun things about this Advent Calendar, but I will highlight the top two.

1) There are balloons that the kids actually GET to pop.

2) Inside each balloon is a note with a fun, family “to-do” for the day.

My Kids Make a Balloon Popping Advent Calendar, and yours can too! Check it out…..

First things first. We sat down all together and quickly came up with a list of 25 fun things we could do together on any given day.  {Drink hot cocoa with marshmallows, play a board game, go for a walk, dance to Christmas music……you get the idea}. I wrote them on small strips of paper.

Then Silas and I rolled the strips tightly and put each one inside a balloon.  Then I  blew up the balloons and tied them.   To make the tree appear green,  we cut out green circles from construction paper, wrote the numbers 1 – 25 on the circles, and taped them onto the balloons.   {If you have  25 green balloons, then you could write the numbers directly onto the balloon with a Sharpie and not have to do the circles/numbers step.}

Silas wrote the numbers 1 – 25, and then we taped these circles to each balloon to represent each day.

We layed out the shape of the tree with a second set of green circles, which were taped to the wall. The balloons, with their corresponding circle/number were then taped directly on top of the existing circle.  This made it very easy for Silas to know where to put balloons.   Note: Having 2 sets of circles also ensures that once a balloon has been popped, the shape of the tree will still remain.

Here is our Balloon {Popping} Advent Calendar

Day 1: Pop! Here is the note from inside the balloon:

As seen on CraftGossip.com

9 Responses to “Balloon {Popping} Advent Calendar”

1. Poppi 01. Dec, 2010 at 9:29 am #

Very, very clever. Does one of the tags say “Eat Chocolate?” or are you doing two Advent calendars this year? What a great way for Silas to learn and write numbers.

2. Heather 01. Dec, 2010 at 9:32 am #

I don’t know how you even think of these things. What a great idea!!!

3. becky 01. Dec, 2010 at 9:35 am #

Poppi: We actually have 3 if you can believe it. Aunt Chris sent us one, the wooden tree with boxes, and the balloon. Hahaha. They are all really different so the kids like them all.

Heather: I was actually driving and was trying to think of a fun idea for an advent calendar, using what I already had at home. I didnt want to have to go buy something to do a project. And this just came to me. I really liked the idea of having a “family to-do” for each day too (hence the papers inside each balloon)

4. nonna 01. Dec, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Wonderful idea!! And Silas, great job doing all the numbers…did you also blow up the balloons?? xo

5. Nana 01. Dec, 2010 at 11:58 am #

Great idea, Becky. You are so creative and a gifted teacher.
    This is an excellent way for Silas and other kids to learn to identify and write numbers. I bet the visual image of the numbers will stick in his memory.

Love the idea of doing a family activity….. and also like the chocolate treat each day :-)

6. Debby 02. Dec, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

dude, you should totally submit this idea to Real Simple Magazine. It’s too late for them to publish it in their Christmas magazine this year, but maybe they’d put it on their website or keep it for next year’s mag. I think I will do this with my kids…maybe not with “make cookies” pieces of paper inside them though! We all know that cooking with my kids is not my strength! Haha!

7. becky 02. Dec, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

debby, hope you have fun doing this with your kids. thanks for the tip about Real Simple. I didnt even know you could submit ideas to them….maybe next time i guess.

8. Heather 02. Dec, 2010 at 10:00 pm #

Submit it to them anyway. The online version would prob carry it. You really are so creative Becky!

9. Marie 03. Dec, 2010 at 2:03 am #

What a fun idea. My kids would love this. I’ll have to remember it for next year, or even any other countdown! Thanks for sharing!