Recycled Wrapping Paper Basket

28 Dec

We had a ton of wrapping paper after our Christmas festivities. It filled up a huge trash bag and was sitting at the back door ready to go out for recycling.  I kept looking at it, thinking that there must be something we could do with all that nice looking paper (besides recycling it).  I really didn’t want to straighten it out and actually re-wrap gifts with it.  But, I wanted to find a new purpose for that paper.

Here are a few ideas I came up with:

1. let the kids draw on the back side of the paper. They are always looking for scrap paper to write/draw on.

2. cut out shapes from the wrapping paper and make a collage.

3. learn how to basket weave and make a  basket out of the paper.

Guess which one we picked?

My Kids Make a Basket {from recycled wrapping paper}, and yours can too! Pull that paper out of your recycling bin and start folding…..

I had seen a post where Life of Perks made a basket out of recycled newspaper. I knew we would one day follow her instructions and make a basket of our own.  And that day finally came.

Silas and I started pulling out large pieces of wrapping paper and unfolding them. We managed to find a lot of pieces that were large and not badly mangled. We flattened the paper out, cut off any sections that were badly torn, and tried to get similarly shaped pieces.  Then, start folding to make long strips of paper.  Make sure that all the pieces have folds that are close to the same size.

Line up all the folded pieces and start weaving. Make the bottom first. The over hang parts will be folded up and become the sides. Then you will take additional strips and weave them into/around the sides.

Use glue to secure the pieces together while you work, just a dab here and there.   Once you get the sides standing up and are creating the actual sides, the basket starts to hold together on its own quite nicely.  When you run out of strips, or get to the desired size, fold the extra length over or trim the pieces.

We used paper clips to help hold sections in place while we worked. Then: Glue. Glue. Glue.  We used a few layers of Mod Podge over the whole basket to help it keep its form.  This worked great.

Now that we are done, there is a vote in the house as to what we will fill the basket with.  Here are a few options:

Basket for Craft Supplies:

Basket for Books:

Basket for Trash:

Silas actually wants this basket to be a dog bowl for his new stuffed animal dog. The dog is very large and therefore “needs” a large dog bowl.  This might sound horrible, but I am voting that this becomes a “basket for trash”. If you knew how MANY tissues that I have to pick up off their bedroom floor, you would vote for a cute little trash basket as well!

UPDATE: Here’s another version of the basket that we made. It is a lot taller than the first one.

I linked up with:

As seen on CraftGossip.com  http://www.thethriftyhome.com

22 Responses to “Recycled Wrapping Paper Basket”

1. Nana 28. Dec, 2010 at 11:35 pm #

Great idea and project.
    You are so creative !!!!

2. becky 28. Dec, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

thanks. it seriously is a cute little basket and i wish we had more wrapping paper laying around so we could have made it bigger (or better yet, made another).

3. Nana 28. Dec, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

You will have more wrapping paper this weekend :-)

4. brandy perks 29. Dec, 2010 at 11:13 am #

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I love how your baskets turned out. Glad someone got some more ideas from my basket, I’m going to have to try it with wrapping paper now!! I have so much lying around!
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com

5. becky 29. Dec, 2010 at 11:16 am #

Brandy, you have no idea how long I had your post bookmarked! I have been wanting to try this for ages!! Thanks again, keep up the good work!!!

6. Will Strong 29. Dec, 2010 at 1:05 pm #

That’s so cool. Keep up the good work guys.

7. becky 29. Dec, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

Thanks Will!

8. Nonna 29. Dec, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

Adorable basket Silas and Becky!! Too cute for snotty kleenex! :o )

9. Marie 29. Dec, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

What a great idea. I love this. We have oodles of extra wrapping paper to use, perfect! Thanks for sharing it over at M&T Spotlight!

10. Beth 03. Jan, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

I totally thought that was our copy of Goodnight Moon sitting in that basket – ours has all the same creases and everything!!

I am DESPERATE for ways to use up our wrapping paper – it’s all sitting in a giant garbage sack in our closet, and the sight of it is starting to make my husband twitch. Plus, I need something to do with the kiddos this weekend, so we might just be making a bunch of baskets!

11. becky 03. Jan, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Beth,
    I hope you have fun making the baskets, let me know how they come out! I would love to post a pic of you with your basket….

I think we are going to make more this week, as we still have a huge pile of wrapping paper cluttering up the house.

12. Emily 10. Jan, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Hi. I was wondering if I could please use a few of these pictures for my ICT GCSE Controlled Assessment (UK national exams), and whether you want this website to be referenced. Thanks if you say yes, from Emily.

By the way this is a great use for wrapping paper :)

13. becky 10. Jan, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Emily,
    I tried to send you an email but it bounced back. Send me a msg. becky at mykidsmake dot com

14. Emily 12. Jan, 2011 at 8:39 am #

Hello. My name is Emily and I was wondering if I could use some of these pictures in my GCSE ICT Controlled Assessment (important exams in England). I’m supposed to find pictures to use in my project, get permission to use them, and give a link to the site they came from.

Thanks if you say yes. If not then never mind.

This is a very good idea for reusing old wrapping paper by the way :)

15. Robin 12. Jan, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

What a great idea. I hate throwing away wrapping paper and I would have never thought of this.

16. Natt Green 14. Jan, 2011 at 7:38 am #

I am doing an Upcycling project for an ICT GCSE, and was wondering if I could use this idea of your recycled wrapping paper box to create at my event, thanks, Natalie.

17. Tabby 22. Jan, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

I do crafts all the time and I’am always looking for new ideas. This is an AWESOME idea!

18. becky 23. Jan, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Thanks Tabby!!!!!

19. unique gift 24. Jul, 2014 at 3:37 am #

My brother recommended I might like this website.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

20. domain 15. Sep, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

I create a leave a response each time I like
    a article on a site or I have something to contribute to
    the conversation. It is triggered by the sincerness communicated in the post I browsed.
    And after this post Recycled Wrapping Paper Basket | My Kids Make….
    I was excited enough to post a commenta response :) I
    actually do have 2 questions for you if you do not mind.

Is it simply me or does it give the impression like a few
    of the comments look like coming from brain dead individuals?
    :-P And, if you are writing at additional online sites, I’d like to keep up with everything new you have
    to post. Could you make a list every one of your shared sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or
    linkedin profile?

1. How to weave a recycled wrapping paper basket · Recycled Crafts | CraftGossip.com - 03. Jan, 2011

[...] tutorial for recycling the wrapping paper into a woven basket. Check out her tutorial for weaving a recycled wrapping paper basket at her blog My Kids Make. Thanks for sending in this great project that keeps another thing out of the landfill for just a [...]

2. Show and Tell: Becky | My Kids Make... - 14. Jan, 2011

[...] a follow-up on the Recycled Wrapping Paper Basket post.  We had a lot of paper left over still, so I made another basket this week. {Notice the [...]