Heart Fruit Roll-Ups

7 Feb

Fruit roll-ups are fun.  But you know what’s not fun? Not being able to read all the words in the ingredient list.  Seriously, have you checked out the back of the box?

We thought making our own fruit roll-ups sounded like a lot of fun.  You can pick your flavors. You can make it yourself. You get to use a blender.  Whats not exciting about all those things to a 2yr old and a 5yr old?

My Kids Make {Heart} Fruit roll-ups, and yours can too! Find out how, then starting making your own:

This recipe is from the cookbook “Teens Cook Dessert” by Megan & Jill Carle. I honestly loved this cookbook.  There were a lot of recipes that Silas and I earmarked.

We made cinnamon apple “dried fruit rolls” {as the cookbook refers to them}.

To do so, place the about 4 cups of peeled and chopped apples in a pot with water and let cook for about 15mins.

Drain the apples and place in a blender. Add a few shakes of cinnamon and a tablespoon of lemon juice.  Blend til smooth {place a towel over the of the blender when mixing hot liquids}

Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and spray it with oil.  Pour the mixture out onto the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer.

Place the pan in the oven at 175° for about 3hrs, or until dried {It actually took ours longer, about 4hrs, so just check on it}.

Once dried, slice the fruit into strips and roll in waxed paper.

Or, cut cute shapes into your fruit roll-ups, and make it a treat for your little Valentine.

I linked up with:

Today's Creative Blog abc button Tots and Me Photobucket

17 Responses to “Heart Fruit Roll-Ups”

1. Poppi 07. Feb, 2011 at 9:18 am #

What a fun idea. I imagine the kids really like this snack and how simple are the ingredients. Good healthy choice that tastes great. Oh yeah, and you get to use a cool tool (blender). What’s not to like!!!

2. Poppi 07. Feb, 2011 at 9:21 am #

By the way…Got to love the expression on Sydney’s face as Silas is putting in the cinnamon. Absolutely precious.

3. Heather 07. Feb, 2011 at 11:11 am #

Too Cute! The kids are getting so big now, compared to when you first started your blog!

4. Nana 07. Feb, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Great job Silas and Sydney.
    Let us know how yummy the hearts taste.

Becky, this is a great idea and recipe.
    So much healthier than the packaged one — and less expensive.

I also love the expression on Sydney’s face.
    And it’s Silas is so grown up now — a boy & not a ‘little boy’.

5. Lisa @ Two bears Farm 07. Feb, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

this is awesome. We harvest our own organic apples every year (we have 2 trees) and are always looking for new ways of using the fruit. I’m going to print it off to save for later!

6. Marie 07. Feb, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

We make leather all the time, but have never thought to cut it out in shapes! Awesome!!

7. Shannon 07. Feb, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

8. Erin K M 08. Feb, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I make fruit roll ups for my girls all the time, however I just use a jar of unsweeted apple sauce then add puree berries or cinnamon as wanted. I leave out any sweetners or salt they are already sweet enough and it is really not needed the only additive is a little citric acid in the apple sauce. My girls love them and could eat them on a regular basis. if i let them i could go through a jar a week!

9. becky 08. Feb, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

@Erin,
    What a fantastic idea using applesauce and add-ins. I love it! We will just try that next time!!!

10. JDaniel4's Mom 08. Feb, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

This a fruit roll ups I would let JDaniel eat! Yum!

Thank you so much for linking up to the Virtual Valentine’s Day party. I hope you will have many party guests stop by.

Thanks for adding my link to your post. It makes you eligible for the $10 Visa Gift Card drawing on the Feb. 14th.

11. Eva 08. Feb, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Wow I had no Idea you could make them.

12. Sassy Sites! 08. Feb, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

We are hosting a Valentine linkup party over at Sassy Sites! I would love to have you stop by and link up this Valentine post (and ANY other valentine post you have!) xoxo!!

<3 Marni

13. kewkew 08. Feb, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Thank you for linking up to Valentines Activities Link Up and sharing this recipe. I can’t wait to try it!! Healthy fruit roll ups, yum!!

14. Sheri@childmade.com 10. Feb, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

YUM! Those look fantastic! **I must be hungry.** Thanks for linking!

15. Karen 11. Feb, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

What a great shot of the cinnamon coming out of the shaker. And the kids are having such a good time! They will remember these times. I used to cook with my kids and still do now that they’re in their late 20′s and married.

16. Darcey 13. Feb, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Great idea! I didn’t know you could make something similar at home. I’ve included your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/02/weekly-favorites-for-february-13-2011.html

1. Tweets that mention Heart Fruit Roll-Ups | My Kids Make... -- Topsy.com - 07. Feb, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Early Childhood, Deb Chitwood. Deb Chitwood said: RT @Teach_Preschool: Heart Fruit Roll-Ups http://bit.ly/ieU6vL #ece #preschool #teachpreschool #homeschool [...]