Heart Lollipops

11 Feb

Only a few more days until Valentine’s Day, and we are having fun with all our {heart} projects.  My kids love lollipops, and we figured most other kids do as well, so why not give them out as Valentines? So, our latest creation is destined for the hands of friends at an upcoming Valentine’s Day party.

My Kids Make Heart Lollipops, and yours can too! Find out how easy it is:

Making lollipops at home is fairly straight forward, and not as hard as you might expect.  The most important thing you need is a candy thermometer, and lollipop sticks {which you can find at Michaels and other craft stores}.

We used candy molds to make these heart shaped lollipops. You can find these at Michaels , Joann’s, etc.

Before you begin: spray the mold with cooking spray and place the lollipop sticks in the mold. If you do not have a mold, you can still make lollipops! Spread the lollipop sticks out on a large piece of parchment paper {NOT waxed paper}.  When it is time to pour the candy, you will pour a small circle of candy over the end of the lollipop stick {check out here for more help}.

In a pot, mix together 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup corn syrup, 1/3 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.  Mix the ingredients constantly over medium heat for about 5mins until it starts to boil. Once it begins to boil you can stop stiring the mixture.  At this point, monitor the temperature of the liquid with your candy thermometer until it reaches 300° {takes about 10mins}.

Remove the pot from the heat once it reaches 300°. Add in 1/2 teaspoon of flavoring {we used raspberry extract} and any coloring you desire {my kids LOVE red….} and mix. Measure the temperature of the candy once more, and once it has cooled to 275°, it is time to pour!!!!

Let the lollipops cool for at least 15mins. Then, wrap them in plastic {or a cute bag} and they are ready for your Valentine.

I linked up with:

Photobucket

15 Responses to “Heart Lollipops”

1. Poppi 11. Feb, 2011 at 8:34 am #

One of the cutest pictures of Silas so far. How fun!!!

2. Heather 11. Feb, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Becky, that is a great photo of Silas. One of the best ones I have seen of him. You guys did a nice job with the candy too!

3. Nana 11. Feb, 2011 at 10:50 am #

I agree – cutest photo of Silas. You did a great job on it.
    Love his smile and dimples.

You did a really good job on the heart lollipops & with the directions.
    They came out soooo good.

Your photography is amazing.
    Your food photos really communicate: “I’m delicious, eat me now.” and…”this is easy, you can make it too!”

4. becky 11. Feb, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

ohhh, thanks for the nice comments about the photos.

5. Timbra Vaughn 11. Feb, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

I love your blog! And I nominated you for some awards. {check out http://ladeladeda.blogspot.com for details}

6. JDaniel4's Mom 12. Feb, 2011 at 6:59 am #

He looks like he could sell the lollipops by the box. He is just too cute.

Thank you so much for linking to the Virtual Valentine’s Day Party on my blog. Please take a moment between now and the end of the party Monday night to visit a few of the other party guests. I would love to everyone who linked up to have other guests stop by for a visit.

Remember if you visit two guests and leave me a comment that you did you could win a $15 Visa Gift Card.

7. MrsDragon 13. Feb, 2011 at 11:42 am #

I had no idea lolipops were so easy to make! What an awesome idea. : )

8. Carol 13. Feb, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Those lollipops looks great! Love the first pic :)

9. Jo 14. Feb, 2011 at 7:51 am #

I love these! These lollies are one of my picks of the week.

Come pick up a SmileMonsters Loves Me button if you like

Jo @ SmileMonsters

10. Erin @ Making Memories 15. Feb, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

So cute. My daughter would love it if we make lollipops! She loves them!

11. Sharon 17. Feb, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

I’ve been wanting to make hard candy for so long. I bought 2 boxes of candy apple mix but have been looking for molds for about 6 months. The ones I have are for chocolate and specify “not for hard candy”. Are these the ones you used? Thanks for your help.

12. becky 18. Feb, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

@Sharon,
    Yes I did use regular chocolate molds that you can find in most craft stores. I just sprayed them first with cooking spray, placed the lollipop sticks in, and then poured the hot candy mixture into the molds. Make sure you cover the stick well with the candy. Then let them sit. They came out of the molds with no problem!!!

1. Saturday Spotlight: Valentine’s Day | Make and Takes - 12. Feb, 2011

[...] Saturday. Valentine’s Day Bunting Valentine Potholders Red Velvet Heart Pancakes Heart Lollipops Conversation Heart Ring Felt Heart Coffee Sleeve Related Posts:Saturday Spotlight: [...]

2. Show and Tell: Sharon | My Kids Make... - 10. Mar, 2011

[...] sent in this photo after reading about the Heart Lollipops we made.  She and her family had fun making candy lollipops {and small suckers} using a Candy [...]

3. Friday Fun pt 2: Super Easy Cherry Lollipops You Can Make @ Home « Tree of Life Learning - 11. Feb, 2012

[...] folks @mykidsmake made heart-shaped lollipops, but you can make any shape you can find (or make) molds for. And what [...]