Grocery Shopping – Reading and Scavenger Hunt

24 Mar

Grocery shopping can get a bit tricky when your kids are accompanying you. And since I primarily do my shopping in the day, I have to come up with ways to keep everyone interested and happy.

Today, when we went to the grocery store, I pulled out a list with words written on it. I gave it to Silas and told him that this was his shopping list.  If he could figure out the words then he could go search for the item and put it in the cart.  It was half scavenger hunt -  half reading {but sshhh…dont tell him he was reading!}

My Kids Make a “Grocery Shopping – Reading and Scavenger Hunt” and yours can too! Find out how fun it was!

To be honest, this was probably one of the BEST shopping trips we have ever had. Seriously. Both of my kids had fun {even though Silas was the only one technically “playing”}.

Don’t attempt this if you are in a hurry, as you will want time to help you child if they have trouble sounding out the words.

I put items on the list that were in ALL parts of the store. Some in the veggie section, some in the middle section with the cans/jars, some in the freezer section…etc.  I didn’t want him to run out of items on his list before I was done with mine.

We strolled through the store, reading and searching for items.

Did I mention that I got all my shopping done. That the kids were happy. AND that Silas practiced reading?

Give this idea a try with your kids, and see if they enjoy it as much as we did. We are definitely doing this again!

Or, try letting your kids make their own shopping list. That was fun too.

I linked up with:

Craft Schooling Sunday
Photobucket

13 Responses to “Grocery Shopping – Reading and Scavenger Hunt”

1. Nana 24. Mar, 2011 at 11:20 am #

You are clever and a super teacher.
    I can imagine the fun all of you had at the grocery store.

The last photo of Silas is one of the cutest I’ve seen.
    Big grin and dimples.

2. Poppi 24. Mar, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Great idea!!! I think I should use lists when I go to the store too. I usually end up coming home with something to make for one dinner and snacks/dessert for a week.

3. becky 24. Mar, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

Thanks!
    We really had a lot of fun shopping. It was probably one of the best shopping trips we’ve had all together!!! Silas had fun and so did sydney!!!

4. Jamie @ hands on : as we grow 24. Mar, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

I love this idea – a great way to involve the kiddos when doing the errands you would anyway! I can see cutting out pics from ads for littler ones! I can’t wait to try this idea!

I’m featuring this post on my weekly High Five! this week.

Stop by and check it out :)

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow

5. Our Country Road 25. Mar, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

Fantastic idea-I might try this with pictures for my daughter. Thanks for sharing!

6. Rachel 31. Mar, 2011 at 10:31 pm #

What a great idea! I love it! I’m featuring this one at my For the Kids Friday Link Party this week (posting tonight). Stop by and grab an A++ button for your blog!

Thanks so much for linking up with For the Kids Fridays at Sun Scholars. I can’t wait to see what you have to share this week! Hope to have you stop by!

:) rachel @ SunScholars.blogspot.com

7. Julia Skinner 02. Apr, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

I can see lists being compiled for children to find things in a classroom that will work in the same way. Thank you for linking!

8. becky 02. Apr, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

@Julia: that is a great idea. I can see this being used for other things besides grocery shopping as well!!!!

9. Jill 20. Apr, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Awesome idea! I found this site as I was searching for a grocery store activity to give my 4th grade students while we study decimals.
    This will be fantastic to do with my FAVORITE student….my SON, Joseph.
    As is typical of Kindergarten boys, he gets antsy when we practice reading….but he LOVES a challenge!
    Thanks for the ideas!

10. Jill @ a mom with a lesson plan 17. May, 2011 at 10:44 pm #

Wonderful idea! I also shop with my two kids. We are just moving into reading, I will have to give this a try. I’m sure it will make shopping a lot more fun. . .for me=)

11. Kelli 16. Dec, 2011 at 8:18 am #

That is so wonderful! I would LOVE for you to come link this up in my new linky called Homescholing on the Cheap! It isn’t just for people who homeschool but for ideas such as this that is cheap for kids to do and something with which they can learn & grow. This is perfect for the linky.

It is new every Thursday but the link stays up all week. Hope you stop in and share!

THanks, Kelli

1. High Five! week 8 | hands on : as we grow - 22. May, 2012

[...] : Littlest Birds Studio Turning the use of a hammer and nail (tee) into an art![3] Grocery Scavenger Hunt : My Kids MakeI love the idea of making a mundane errand into a fun game for the kids! Use pictures from flyer ads [...]

2. High Five! week 8 : hands on : as we grow - 18. Apr, 2013

[...] [3] Grocery Scavenger Hunt : My Kids Make I love the idea of making a mundane errand into a fun game for the kids! Use pictures from flyer ads for the little ones! [...]