Telescope and Binoculars

22 Mar

Silas recently was looking through a magazine from a science store, the kind that sells kits and projects {and everything else in between}.   The magazine is pretty cool, showing all the toys and experiments you can buy.  Within minutes of holding the magazine, Silas had picked out MANY things that he had to have.  The first on the list: a telescope. Let me rephrase that….a very expensive telescope.

I thought it might be better to make our own telescope before discussing major purchases. Silas thought that sounded fun, so off we went:

My Kids Make a Telescope and Binoculars, and yours can too! Grab some toilet paper rolls, and get crafting!

The telescope found a home in the jungle gym in our backyard.

Sydney wanted to make a set of binoculars, and thought it should be decorated with bunny stickers!

Want to know what the kids could see from the backyard?

One fun thing about this toilet paper roll telescope is that you can make lenses for it.  Silas had a book of Planet stickers, so we just used some of those on the inside of the various lenses. Now, he can finally see Mars just like he has been wanting to!

Check out Inna’s Creations for more info on constructing the telescope and creating the lenses.

I linked up with:

Craft Schooling Sunday
abc buttonWe PlayPhotobucket
Get Your Craft On Tuesday

15 Responses to “Telescope and Binoculars”

1. Nana 22. Mar, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Very innovative and fun.
    Great job Silas, Sydney, and Mama

2. nonna 22. Mar, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

Very cool Silas. It looks like you worked very hard on this project. And Mars looks really cool too, not so far away, really. Sydney, what did you see through yours? xo

3. Poppi 22. Mar, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Very cool. I imagine that making a pin hole camera would be a fun project too. I remember making a pin hole viewer once for observing a solar eclipse. Does this make sense or do you need more info?

4. maggy, red ted art 23. Mar, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

Oh your telescope and binoculars are great! Looks like your kids loved them too! Brilliant and a great way to explore the outdoors!

Thanks again for joining Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

5. cathy@nurturestore 23. Mar, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

I love these ideas. We’re big fans of crafting, espcially with recycled materials, and we always love a craft that turns into a toy. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment – great to meet you!

6. Marie 24. Mar, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

This is so awesome! My kids would love this. And I’ve got just the supplies to make it!

7. Krystal 24. Mar, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

I love this. My 3 yr old is way into the idea of a telescope, but way to young for us to put down any money for one, if you know what I mean. This is going to be the perfect solution! Thanks.

Found you on ABC and 123

8. Lindsay @ BytesOfMemory 27. Mar, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

Great fun! I love this idea of testing one out before hand! Pattern Cards for Pattern Blocks Se

9. Lindsay @ BytesOfMemory 27. Mar, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

woops.. accidentally pasted a search into the comment box :-)

10. creativejewishmom/Sara 28. Mar, 2011 at 3:53 am #

love the telescope, thanks so very much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, hope to see you again soon!

11. Rachel 31. Mar, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

Thanks for sharing this post at For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars. This week’s party is now posted. I’d love to have you share with us again this week!

12. Lauren 14. Apr, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

What did you use to make lenses for the telescope?

I first thought clear scotch-tape on the outside, but then you wouldn’t be able to interchange it with others.

1. I Spy…with a telescope | My Kids Make... - 23. May, 2011

[...] had previously made a telescope out of toilet paper rolls, but this one is far [...]

2. Fun Holidays in August to Celebrate with your Family | Traurigs In Training - 05. Aug, 2013

[...] cardboard from toilet paper and paper towel rolls. Work with your children to create telescopes and binoculars. Be creative! As you create discuss the lesson. We can use our telescopes to see a lot of things. [...]

3. Why We Have Eyes and How to Use Them | Traurigs In Training - 20. Aug, 2013