Bird Nests

17 May

Yesterday I did a guest post over at Homespun Threads as part of the Summer Soiree.

In case you missed our fun bird nest project, take a look:

My Kids Make “bird nests” and yours can too! Find out how:

After our walk, I let the kids try making their own bird nests out of gathered materials from around the house & yard.

We gathered twigs, moss, grass and feathers from outside. From inside, we found cotton balls and yarn to add to our collection.

Using playdough (homemade or store bought) as the “mud” to hold the nest together, let your kids experiment with building their own nests out of the supplies you gathered.

My kids had fun jamming sticks together, piling on moss, and even layering cotton balls into their nests.

We even put them outside in our tree.{Note: the playdough doesn’t hold up in the rain, just a heads up!}

Thiss really is a simple project that was fun for my kids. They enjoyed walking around, searching for bird nests, and they especially liked creating their own!

I hope you have fun trying this with your own kids.

9 Responses to “Bird Nests”

1. laura 17. May, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

i simply love this website!

2. Rose @ Walnut Acre 17. May, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

I love this idea. I am planning our activities for next week and the theme is going to be birds and bird nests. I’ll probably be doing something similar and if I do I’ll publish it and credit the idea back to you. :-)

3. Caro Webster 18. May, 2011 at 1:32 am #

Lovely post. My daughter and I recently made a bird’s nest using winter grasses from our farm. Such a simple activity but so much fun. So, I too, did a post about making nests. You might want to take a look.http://www.caroandco.com.au/2011/04/plants-you-can-play-with-4-the-magic-of-grasses/

Thanks for sharing your version. Cheers, Caro x

4. maggy, red ted art 18. May, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Love the “I Spy” photos.. kids and binoculars are brilliant! And your little nests are just to lovely!

Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty! Much appreciate your visit!

Maggy

5. jenny @ let the children play 19. May, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

Gorgeous – so simple and I love the use of natural materials. We will definately be giving this a go at preschool :) Thank you for sharing your idea on the It’s Playtime link up – I love all the new blogs and ideas for play I am discovering.

6. Julia Skinner 21. May, 2011 at 11:00 am #

These are great! I can just picture them in trees in school fields! Thank you so much for linking with the RC!
    Julia

7. JDaniel4's Mom 21. May, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

The best is so cute. Exploing the woods looks like such fun.

8. Anna @ The Imagination Tree 25. May, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

This is adorable! I love how it’s an outdoors activity and so based in nature. I am featuring this as a favourite on It’s Playtime tomorrow, thank you :-)

1. Bird Drawings | My Kids Make... - 19. May, 2011

[...] are having fun  building bird nests and watching for birds.  The kids have their binoculars [...]